Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Untalented Virtuoso

“I must continue to follow the path I take now. If I do nothing, if I study nothing, if I cease searching, then, woe is me, I am lost. That is how I look at it– keep going, keep going come what may.” - Vincent Van Gogh

I don’t like it when somebody tells me that all the geniuses, artists, leaders and successful people in this world are born with an extraordinary talent. It’s simply because I don’t believe that they achieve it because they are born with a gift. So some of you might tell me what about those child wonders? Well, I think they became child wonders because they practice, practice and practice. The seven years old who can play a Paganini on his violin, he practice every single day of his life ever since he was three years old. He had a good teacher and he had the passion to become a great violinist when he grows up. It is not because his parents are both violinists and their family is full of naturally talented musicians. The parents can influence the child to play but it is still up to the child whether he will strive hard in playing the violin.

For me, the best way to improve talent is through hard work. Saying that somebody’s talent is God given is like ignoring his struggles to achieve his mastery in his craft. Leonardo da Vinci will never become one of the greatest artists if he didn’t draw. Current number one pound-for-pound boxer in the world, Manny Pacquiao will never overcome his bigger and stronger enemies if he didn’t train and condition himself before every fight. The same goes with Michael Jordan who is said to be the greatest basketball player of all time.

One’s success, fame and greatness are rarely attained using inborn talent alone. It happens due to one’s perseverance, passion and willingness to overcome all the odds to achieve all of his or her goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment